Sometimes you just don’t get the breaks.

It was one of those nights for the Barrie Colts, who dropped a 3-1 decision to the  to the Oshawa Generals, Jan. 12, at the Barrie Molson Centre.

Whether it was Ryan Suzuki and Jake Partridge missing on breakaways, having a go-ahead goal called back in the second period, or a late third-period double minor penalty that led to Oshawa’s winning goal, things just didn’t go Barrie’s way in this one.

“We played pretty well,” Colts head coach Dale Hawerchuk said after the contest. “Our goalie (Jet Greaves) played well early and gave us a chance and then we had the power play with the goalie out at the end and I thought we just forced it a bit.

“That’s young guys, not having the patience. Work them around, tire them out, get them to chase you to the outside and open up the middle.”

Barrie (18-22-1-0) just couldn’t seem to buy a break.

After Ben Hawerchuk and Oshawa’s Brandon Saigeon traded goals late in the opening period, the Colts thought they had the go-ahead goal in the second when Tyler Tucker’s point shot was re-directed by Hawerchuk past Oshawa goalie Kyle Keyser.

The goal was immediately waved off for goalie interference and the call held up after a short review showed Barrie forward Jason Willms colliding with Keyser.

After a high sticking double minor to Chris Cameron, Brett Neumann scored the game-winner on the ensuing power play with just 4:17 remaining. He then iced the win with a short-handed empty-net goal with just 32 seconds remaining.

“Unfortunately the linesman made a call on a crosscheck where the player got hit,” Hawerchuk said. “They get the wrong guy, and then they call goalie interference on Willms and he’s out in the white paint and (Keyser) comes out and sells it.

“We had a few calls that just didn’t go our way.”

In a goaltender’s battle where both Greaves and Keyser made several highlight stops, the Generals (25-15-2-0) found a way to pull this one out.

“We were a little sloppy tonight,” Oshawa coach Greg Walters explained. “We thought we played a pretty good first period. Their goalie played extremely well. I think it was 8-2 in chances for us. He played well and it was kind of an even game after that.

“We had some real good looks on the power play earlier and we were lucky enough to get one there at the end.”

Despite what seemed like any break not going their way and giving up the late power-play goal, the Colts still had an excellent opportunity to pull this one out with a late power-play chance and their goalie out of the net for an extra attacker.

“It didn’t look like it was going our way and even at the end we had a chance,” Hawerchuk said. “We got a power play and had the goalie out, so we could have tied it up and won it in overtime.

“Whatever, right? You got to stay with it.”

The Colts continue their run at home when they host the London Knights on Jan. 17. Game time is 7:30 p.m.

ICE CHIPS: The Colts suffered a huge blow after it was revealed that Matej Pekar has a broken collarbone and could miss the remainder of the season. The Buffalo Sabres prospect left in the second period of Thursday’s loss to Sudbury when he took a late hit from Wolves defenceman Liam Ross.


photo: Barrie Colts rookie goaltender Jet Greaves stopped 34 shots in arguably the best start of his young career, but it wasn’t enough as the Oshawa Generals scored twice late in to skate to a 3-1 win at the Barrie Molson Centre, Jan. 12. Terry Wilson/OHL Images

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This