It’s Game On! in Barrie.
The City is hosting its third annual Game On! event on Saturday, September 21st at the Five Points Theatre and City Hall Rotunda, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Held in partnership with the Barrie Public Library’s Comic Con, the event features retro gaming, video competitions, virtual reality and more.
“We’re thrilled to host the third annual Game On event, featuring local companies involved in the fast-growing and e-sports industry,” said Karen Dubeau, Director of the Creative Economy. “With over $1.1 billion annually, the sector is rapidly expanding, creating new job opportunities for gamers, artists, programmers and musicians.
“It’s a great event for anyone interested in learning more about gaming and Esports to try things out, meet developers and get connected in this community.”
Drop by the Five Points Theatre (located at 1 Dunlop St. W.) and presented by Pratt Homes and Development:
– Compete in a Super Smash Bros 64 drop in competition hosted by local YouTube channel RekAllTheThings for a chance to win a prize.
– Can you beat Mike Tyson? Well here is your chance in the Mike Tyson Punch out challenge on NES. You may win a prize if you beat him.
– Explore video game stations featuring a variety of retro arcade games to new generation and VR.
– Meet local video game developers, learn what it’s like to work in the industry, and how to get involved. Vendors will be onsite showcasing video game-related artwork, technology and more.
Drop by the City Hall Rotunda (70 Collier St.):
– Refine your board gaming skills with demos and drop-ins with Sir Games-A-Lot!
– Build Barrie’s ultimate community board game with BRIX. Put your own twist on the rules, rewards, and challenges created by friends, neighbours and gamers. Give your iteration a whirl and see how it grows with everyone’s new additions.
– Go behind-the-scenes with Barrie Robotics. Now is your opportunity to test drive and play with robots and earn your “License to Drive,” signed by Barrie Mayor Jeff Lehman.
– Learn about the history of gaming and where many of our world’s popular games originated from with international student ambassadors from Georgian College.
– Try you hands, literally, at Conductive Fabric Gaming, using Capacitive Touch with Georgian College’s Maker Space.
New this year is the Game On! After Dark: 19+ evening event at the Five Points Theatre, from 7 to 10 p.m.
– Featured Cosplayers will be onsite for a cosplay mixer and mingle, with a chance at being named Barrie’s Ultimate Cosplayer. You can go home with a prize.
– Take part in a drop-in video game competition where players will compete on multiple gaming platforms from PS4, Xbox one, Nintendo 64, an arcade cabinet and pinball machine, while playing various styles of video games from Mortal Kombat 11, Call of Duty: Black Op’s 4 Zombies and Mario Kart 64. The players with the four top highest scores will advance to the final round and battle it out on the big screen with Super Smash Bros Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch. The winner will be crowned Barrie’s Ultimate Game and go home with a prize.
– Escape on the God will be onsite with a Stranger Things escape room. Escape with the fastest time and you may be walking home with a prize, courtesy of OMG! Games.
For more information about Game On! visit barrie.ca or facebook.com/CreativeBarrie.