The City of Barrie is celebrating Canada Day in a whole new way this year with a lineup of virtual programming that can be enjoyed safely from the comfort of home. From interactive family fun and performances by local musicians to a virtual fireworks display using augmented reality,
Canada Day At Home will be a unique celebration of Canadian culture.
Schedule of activities:
- 10 a.m. – Interactive family activities including story time, buskers, science experiments, Canadian wildlife, dance, and crafts.
- 1 p.m. – National Celebration: Canada Day Across the Country will showcase Canada’s cultural diversity, sporting excellence, Indigenous culture and languages, and the resilience of frontline workers.
- 4 p.m. – Canada Day Campfire Sessions featuring a line-up of local talent performing original songs and Canadian favourites perfect for enjoying around the campfire.
- 7 p.m. – Participate in the Oh Canada Community Chorus by wearing red and white and joining the community in singing Oh Canada from your front yard.
- 8 p.m. – National Celebration: Canada Day Together. Join this unique edition of Canada’s annual iconic celebration featuring original artist collaborations between performers from coast to coast ending in a finale featuring a montage of Canada Day fireworks from years past.
- 9:30 p.m. – The city is partnering with snapd to deliver a virtual fireworks experience using augmented reality. Canadian astronaut, Chris Hadfield will lead the final countdown. People can access the virtual fireworks experience by downloading the snapd HUB app on their mobile device.
In addition to the scheduled virtual programming, residents can check out the city’s Canada Day engagement hub to get in the spirit leading up to the big day. Take Canadian-themed quick polls, check out Canada Day themed activities you can do from home, and share what makes you proud to be Canadian. Residents are encouraged to post photos and videos of how they’re celebrating on social media using #CanadaDayInBarrie and #OhCanada.
The city’s virtual Canada Day celebration is funded in part by the Government of Canada. Visit barrie.ca/Canada Day for a full schedule of activities and information on how to join the virtual celebration.